Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Favorite Things: Quilting

As I take a moment to extract myself from the pile of books and notebooks that I have been submerged in since early this morning, I am thinking about what makes me happy. The list is long, for my life is overflowing with goodness.

What I am specifically thinking about are the small things, my "favorite things" like Julie Andrews' song. One of these things is quilting. My mother was a quilter, SaraHS is a quilter, my friend Erin from library school is a quilter, and I even incorporated quilts into my undergraduate theses. There is something about the colors and patterns that makes me feel cozy. From the time I was very small, I have been surrounded by fabric and thread. I remember visiting the fabric store and dipping my entire arm into the bucket of buttons. They made the most wonderful sound when I would twirl my arms in the bucket.

Quilting is now something that is peripheral to my life. My arms are dipped in books and manuscript collections instead of buckets of buttons. Practically speaking, I do not have the time or physical space to start a project. But, I miss quilts and fabric stores with a gentle ache, like when you miss a sunny summer day in your favorite childhood tree. My question is: How can I make quilting a part of my life again? I think I have found the perfect solution.

Last week,  through the wonderful world of Twitter, I discovered a blog called The Happiness Project. One of the blog's features is the Toolbox that allows users to create journals, lists, and inspiration boards (to name a few). I am going to create a virtual quilting inspiration board. It will be a place where I can gather my ideas and invite quilting back into my life. When I graduate and get a 'real job,' I will have the time and space to start quilting again. By then, I will have a treasure chest of inspiration.

The first addition to my inspiration board is this darling embroidery pattern from wee folk art.

On a final note, I thought I would share on of my favorite quilts that my mother made. I have hung it next to my bed since she finished it in 1995 (well, now it hangs over the table- but in a studio apartment, that is practically next to the bed).

1 comment:

Rose Marie . said...

I love this quilt!