Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Monday, January 24, 2011

First Week of Classes: What to wear?

The "what to wear" question has always haunted me. Even as a little girl, I would spend a bit (cough) a lot of time trying to decide what skirt looked best with my sparkly-pink, fringed cowboy boots. (I refused to wear pants. I had a firm skirts only rule that lasted until I was almost 10). The years have gone by, I outgrew my pink cowboy boots, and yet am still unable to blithely breeze into my closet and pick out an outfit. I have built the 'outfit picking' exercise into my day's ritual, so that before bed, I know exactly what I will put on in the morning.

This week, I find my ritual complicated by two factors: It is very cold in Boston right now, and it's the first week of classes (good impressions must be made!). If I were to write a want ad for this week's outfits, it would go something like this:

"Eager archives/history graduate student seeks stylish, warm, and functional outfits. Must be compatible with snow boots. Also seeking indoor footwear that fits into tote bag along with books, notebooks, and pens."

Want ad in hand, I dove into my closet and picked the following three outfits:






Vintage houndstooth pencil skirt with red cashmere turtleneck, black fleece-lined tights, and black patent flats.

_______________________________________________________________




Gray trousers with blue ribbed v-neck sweater, vintage scarf, and gray suede pumps.

_______________________________________________________________





Silver-gray skirt with black drape-necked sweater, black fleece-lined tights, and red plaid pumps.

With these three outfits hanging in my closet (one for each day of class), I can concentrate on other important pre-class exercises such as note-taking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful!

SaraHS said...

These are classic Amanda outfits. I love your plaid pumps!

Amanda S said...

Alas, I was overly optimistic about the red plaid pumps fitting into my school bag. After prancing around the apartment in them, I have traded them for the black patent flats.