Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Dreaming of Spring

If you live in the Midwest or the Northeast, then you understand what this winter has been like. If not, let me paint a picture for you. Six blizzards in as many weeks (fingers crossed- it looks like we get a reprieve this week). Snowdrifts are taller than I am, and the slightly warmer weather of yesterday and today has resulted in melting. Melting is good, you might say...but you would be mistaken. Now there are deep puddles of doom everywhere. Unlike normal puddles, the bottom of these puddles is sheer ice. Winter in Boston has been quite an adventure, and I am at the point where any temperature over 35° seems warm.

Now, I don't want to make it seem like the weather has been entirely bad. The fresh snow is beautiful, and the public transportation runs (mostly) smoothly even during the worst of the storms. I have snuggled with Pablo and George (husband and cat respectively) and drank endless mugs of hot chocolate. I have been resigned to winter's hold, because I am in Boston after all! But, I've broken in my snow boots and turned the calendar page from January to February. In my mind, the heart of winter, deep winter, as a colleague described it, is gone. Yesterday and today, I even felt a hint of spring warmth in the cold. So, I am closing my eyes and ignoring the snow drifts.

Instead, I am dreaming of spring in all of its glory. A spring with...

cherry blossoms (hopefully there are cherry blossoms in Boston too!)


From Sally's Garden in Bush Park, Salem, Oregon



and tulips

From the tulip beds in front of the Bush House, Salem, Oregon


 
If the sun was shining, and the flowers were blooming, I would stroll down the street in a flowery skirt and strappy, kitten-heeled, peep-toed shoes.

Instead, I'll pour another cup of Jasmine Green Tea, wrap my shawl a little tighter, and dream of spring, which is right around the corner.

1 comment:

Rose Marie said...

Glad you have found the joy in snow and winter. I'm certain spring will be a riot of colour and all will be well, soon!