Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

These Boots are made for Walking

Beantown is home to the Red Sox, the Celtics, and an abundance of fabulous footwear. My favorite fall and winter styles are based on the boot. I am partial to knee high boots, but when worn correctly, mid-calf and ankle boots can add pizazz to an outfit. In addition to being a boot-town, Boston is also a walking city. There is much to be said for high-heeled boots, but they are better suited for special occasions because the heels get caught in Boston’s cobblestone walkways.

 Acorn Street by Directory of Boston on Flickr



Knee high Boots

For the petite among us who are loathe to give up a heel all-together, this season’s riding boots are an excellent alternative. I chose my boots because the heel is a bit taller than that of the riding boots, but still allows me to walk comfortably. They also fit well on the calf and have a sleek front with a slightly rounded toe. It goes without saying that when wearing these boots, I feel like I’m 6’ tall (even though, with them on, I’m only 5’2”).

 'Maricela' by b.o.c.

Rain Boots
I thought rain boots were Pacific Northwest chic, but they are quite popular in Boston. People wear designer rain boots, colorful rain boots, tall rain boots, and short rain boots. My yellow plaid rain boots make me feel right at home in the rain boot trend. The main flaw to rain boots is that they are not warm, which almost made me stop wearing them. This problem is easily solved with the rain boot liner. Pacific Northwest meets Northeast with toasty warm rain boots.


Purchased ages ago from Famous Footwear


 
Snow Boots

We are currently in the season for snow boots. I started my hunt for snow boots in October because I’m not a hearty New Englander, and knew I would need a warm, waterproof pair to see me through the winter. Waterproof snow boots are not always known for being fashionable, and in spite of my comments about low-heeled boots, I am reluctant to sacrifice style for function. My search paid off, and I found a pair of stylish, waterproof, warm, and completely functional snow boots. Snowdrifts are no match for me!

'Joan of Arctic' by Sorel
Stay tuned for a future post with tips on wearing boots for dressy and casual occasions.

No comments: