Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Monday, February 21, 2011

To Catalog or to Bake? A Libray School Dilemma

I was celebrating having President's Day off by working my cataloging homework. Sometime later, while agonizing about whether or not a certain author has an OCLC authority record and how to punctuate publication information, my brain said, "wouldn't you rather be baking?" What was I to do?

Abandon the computer and make chocolate chip cookies of course!

I only had half a bag of chocolate chips left from my chocolate chip banana bread, but I also had half a bag of white baking chips left over from my Christmas peppermint bark. Feeling adventurous after abandoning my punctuation dilemma (hmm... forward slash or semicolon?), I decided to make dark & white chocolate chip cookies. Walnuts are my go-to nut for cookies, but with only a teensy-weensy supply, it hardly seemed worth the effort of chopping. I dug through the cabinet a bit more (I am sans step stool, so this process involves me perching on the counter on my knees and burying my head in the cabinet) and found a bag of pecans. Perfect! The first batch just came out of the oven...delicious.

Dark and White Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans

2 ¼ cups all purpose, unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup softened butter (unsalted)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 eggs
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz. white baking chips (see this note about choosing white chocolate)
1 cup chopped pecans (I broke the pecans into small pieces, which worked just as well).

Pre-heat oven to 375°. Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside. Combine brown sugar, granulated sugar, softened butter, and vanilla; beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and beat until mixture becomes lightly colored and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in semi-sweet and white chocolate chips and nuts. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto non-greased cookie sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes. Refrigerate remaining dough while cookies bake. Yield approximately 2 dozen cookies.

After the first batch of cookies is ready, put the electric tea kettle to boil (you don't want to scald your tongue on melted chocolate). Enjoy a cookie with your choice of tea. I chose Trader Joe's Dutchess Grey.

No comments: