Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Seasonal Swap

We had a late summer here in the Pacific Northwest, with sunny skies and warm dry days well into the month of October. That all ended last Friday with a record rainfall. Now it's time to pull out the boots and gloves and warm coats, and it's time for the seasonal swap -- moving summer clothes out of the dresser and closet to make room for the winter wardrobe.

The seasonal swap isn't about homekeeping as much as it is about having easy access to the clothing I'm wearing right now. I don't have a ton of clothing; I keep most of what I wear in one dresser and half of a 1950s bedroom closet. When my sweaters are on the closet shelf and my jeans are in the drawer, there isn't much room for sleeveless tops or shorts to share the space. If I'm not wearing open-toe shoes in the winter, why not put them away where they won't get dusty, and have more room for boots and sneakers?

I have a couple of under-the-bed storage containers that are essential for this process. I purchased both of them at Ikea: the Dilling under-bed storage box, and the Skubb (item #101.933.76) storage case. Of these two, I much prefer the Skubb. While the Dilling is larger, the lid doesn't fasten tightly -- so if the contents rise above the sides of the box the lid rests loosely on top and doesn't keep out the dust. The Skubb is smaller but it zips closed, so you can really pack it full. It also has a handle so it's easy to haul out from under the bed. If I were really organized I would buy more Skubb cases and store my off-season clothes by type: shirts, shorts, etc. Maybe next year.

The seasonal swap is the perfect time to weed out the clothing that needs to go, via the "one-in, one-out" rule. I have already picked up a new purple fleece jacket (I'm trying to convince myself that it's the work-from-home equivalent of a cashmere cardigan) so my old blue fleece is on its way out, along with a couple of summer items that have seen their last season.

In the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that I have one additional Skubb case where I store my "keeper" clothing, my personal sartorial hall-of-shame. These items have been permanently swapped out of my wearable wardrobe but I can't bear to get rid of them for one reason or another:
  • A plaid wool shirt that belonged to my mother when she was a young woman
  • My Union Bay flowered jeans, c. 1985, that were my signature look throughout high school and college
  • A patchwork skirt handmade for me by my much-adored sister-in-law
  • The faded purple tie-dyed dress I made for myself while we were living in Ethiopia, together with the well-worn, oversized denim shirt I wore almost everywhere in those days
When the weather turned this past weekend I dug out my rain boots (Missoni for Target, purchased last year but never worn) and opened my "keeper" box to find a pair of wool socks that were made for me by the same much-adored sister-in-law. They are mint green with dark green stripes at the top -- hey, it was the 80s! -- but they work perfectly inside my boots, splashing through muddy puddles with the nephew and niece. Welcome, Fall.

No comments: