Fashion fades, friendship is eternal.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Random Compliment

I am not wearing anything special today: a grey cable knit sweater (Macy's, on clearance), a purple twill skirt (Costco), marled tights (Missoni for Target), and brown Bandolino boots, topped off with my fabulous four-Euro Florentine "pashmina". But I sure felt special this afternoon when the woman at the cash register said, "I like your outfit" as I approached the counter.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago in Seattle. We were ordering another fast food lunch and the teenager at the counter said, "Welcome-to-Chipotle's-you-have-beautiful-eyes-what-can-I-get-you?" as J. stepped forward. It all went by so quickly that I had to ask him later, after we had sat down with our food, whether I had heard her correctly. "I think so," he said. This happens to him more often than you might expect. It embarrasses him, but in a good way.

Historically speaking, I haven't paid that much attention to what I wear. It has only been in the past few years that I have made any effort to develop a sense of style, to wear clothes that are flattering and fit me well, and to keep an eye on fashion trends. It shouldn't surprise me that paying more attention to my own wardrobe makes more more aware of what other people are wearing -- and this awareness makes me more inclined to compliment strangers on their clothing. Is that weird? I hope not. I hope it gives them a little lift, like the one I got today from a random compliment.

No comments: